- A movement forward.
- usage: "he listened for the progress of the troops"
- A change for the better; progress in development.
- A tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others.
- usage: "she rejected his advances"
- The act of moving forward (as toward a goal.
- An amount paid before it is earned.
- synonyms: cash advance
- Increase in price or value.
- usage: "the news caused a general advance on the stock market"
- synonyms: rise
- Move forward, also in the metaphorical sense.
- usage: "Time marches on"
- Bring forward for consideration or acceptance.
- usage: "advance an argument"
- synonyms: throw out
- Increase or raise.
- usage: "boost the voltage in an electrical circuit"
- Contribute to the progress or growth of.
- usage: "I am promoting the use of computers in the classroom"
- Cause to move forward.
- usage: "Can you move the car seat forward"
- synonyms: bring forward
- Obtain advantages, such as points, etc..
- usage: "The home team was gaining ground"; "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"
- Develop in a positive way.
- usage: "He progressed well in school"; "My plants are coming along"; "Plans are shaping up"
- Develop further.
- usage: "We are advancing technology every day"
- Give a promotion to or assign to a higher position.
- usage: "John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired"; "Women tend not to advance in the major law firms"; "I got promoted after many years of hard work"
- Pay in advance.
- usage: "Can you advance me some money"
- Move forward.
- usage: "we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward"
- synonyms: set ahead
- Rise in rate or price.
- usage: "The stock market gained 24 points today"
- synonyms: gain
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). advance. Retrieved September 24, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/advance/definitions/1167395|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "advance" http://smartdefine.org/advance/definitions/1167395 (accessed September 24, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, advance, Smart Define, viewed 24 September, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/advance/definitions/1167395>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "advance" 23 October 2010. Web. 24 September 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/advance/definitions/1167395>|