- Make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen.
- usage: "This permits the water to rush in"; "This sealed door won't allow the water come into the basement"; "This will permit the rain to run off"
- Consent to, give permission.
- usage: "She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"; "I won't let the police search her basement"; "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
- Let have.
- usage: "grant permission"; "Mandela was allowed few visitors in prison"
- synonyms: grant
- Give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause.
- usage: "I will earmark this money for your research"; "She sets aside time for meditation every day"
- Make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain.
- usage: "This leaves no room for improvement"; "The evidence allows only one conclusion"; "allow for mistakes"; "leave lots of time for the trip"; "This procedure provides for lots of leeway"
- Allow or plan for a certain possibility; concede the truth or validity of something.
- usage: "I allow for this possibility"; "The seamstress planned for 5% shrinkage after the first wash"
- synonyms: take into account
- Afford possibility.
- usage: "This problem admits of no solution"; "This short story allows of several different interpretations"
- synonyms: admit
- Allow the other (baseball) team to score.
- usage: "give up a run"
- synonyms: give up
- Grant as a discount or in exchange.
- usage: "The camera store owner allowed me $50 on my old camera"
- Allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting.
- usage: "We don't allow dogs here"; "Children are not permitted beyond this point"; "We cannot tolerate smoking in the hospital"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). allow. Retrieved October 20, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/allow/definitions/1326268|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "allow" http://smartdefine.org/allow/definitions/1326268 (accessed October 20, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, allow, Smart Define, viewed 20 October, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/allow/definitions/1326268>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "allow" 23 October 2010. Web. 20 October 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/allow/definitions/1326268>|