- Give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect.
- usage: "She seems to be sleeping"; "This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "This project looks fishy"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
- Come into sight or view.
- usage: "He suddenly appeared at the wedding"; "A new star appeared on the horizon"
- Be issued or published.
- usage: "Did your latest book appear yet"; "The new Woody Allen film hasn't come out yet"
- synonyms: come out
- Seem to be true, probable, or apparent.
- usage: "It seems that he is very gifted"; "It appears that the weather in California is very bad"
- synonyms: seem
- Come into being or existence, or appear on the scene.
- usage: "Then the computer came along and changed our lives"; "Homo sapiens appeared millions of years ago"
- synonyms: come along
- Appear as a character on stage or appear in a play, etc..
- usage: "Gielgud appears briefly in this movie"; "She appeared in `Hamlet' on the London stage"
- Present oneself formally, as before a (judicial) authority.
- usage: "He had to appear in court last month"; "She appeared on several charges of theft"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). appear. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/appear/definitions/1257133|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "appear" http://smartdefine.org/appear/definitions/1257133 (accessed January 18, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, appear, Smart Define, viewed 18 January, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/appear/definitions/1257133>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "appear" 23 October 2010. Web. 18 January 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/appear/definitions/1257133>|