- The act of bringing something to bear; using it for a particular purpose.
- usage: "he advocated the application of statistics to the problem"; "a novel application of electronics to medical diagnosis"
- synonyms: practical application
- A verbal or written request for assistance or employment or admission to a school.
- usage: "December 31 is the deadline for applications"
- The work of applying something.
- usage: "the doctor prescribed a topical application of iodine"; "a complete bleach requires several applications"; "the surface was ready for a coating of paint";
- A program that gives a computer instructions that provide the user with tools to accomplish a task.
- usage: "he has tried several different word processing applications"
- Liquid preparation having a soothing or antiseptic or medicinal action when applied to the skin.
- usage: "a lotion for dry skin"
- synonyms: lotion
- A diligent effort.
- usage: "it is a job requiring serious application"
- synonyms: diligence
- The action of putting something into operation.
- usage: "the application of maximum thrust"; "massage has far-reaching medical applications"; "the application of indexes to tables of data"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). application. Retrieved July 23, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/application/definitions/1191401|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "application" http://smartdefine.org/application/definitions/1191401 (accessed July 23, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, application, Smart Define, viewed 23 July, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/application/definitions/1191401>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "application" 23 October 2010. Web. 23 July 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/application/definitions/1191401>|