- A small piece or quantity of something.
- usage: "a spot of tea"; "a bit of paper"; "a bit of lint"; "I gave him a bit of my mind"
- synonyms: spot
- A small fragment of something broken off from the whole.
- usage: "a bit of rock caught him in the eye"
- An indefinitely short time.
- usage: "wait just a moment"; "in a mo"; "it only takes a minute"; "in just a bit"
- An instance of some kind.
- usage: "it was a nice piece of work"; "he had a bit of good luck"
- synonyms: piece
- Piece of metal held in horse's mouth by reins and used to control the horse while riding.
- usage: "the horse was not accustomed to a bit"
- A unit of measurement of information (from binary + digit); the amount of information in a system having two equiprobable states.
- usage: "there are 8 bits in a byte"
- A small amount of solid food; a mouthful.
- usage: "all they had left was a bit of bread"
- A small fragment.
- usage: "overheard snatches of their conversation"
- synonyms: snatch
- A short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program.
- usage: "he did his act three times every evening"; "she had a catchy little routine"; "it was one of the best numbers he ever did"
- The part of a key that enters a lock and lifts the tumblers.
- The cutting part of a drill; usually pointed and threaded and is replaceable in a brace or bitstock or drill press.
- usage: "he looked around for the right size bit"
- To grip, cut off, or tear with or as if with the teeth or jaws.
- usage: "Gunny invariably tried to bite her"
- Cause a sharp or stinging pain or discomfort.
- usage: "The sun burned his face"
- Penetrate or cut, as with a knife.
- usage: "The fork bit into the surface"
- synonyms: bite
- Deliver a sting to.
- usage: "A bee stung my arm yesterday"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). bit. Retrieved July 20, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/bit/definitions/1201804|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "bit" http://smartdefine.org/bit/definitions/1201804 (accessed July 20, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, bit, Smart Define, viewed 20 July, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/bit/definitions/1201804>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "bit" 23 October 2010. Web. 20 July 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/bit/definitions/1201804>|