- An Indo-European language belonging to the West Germanic branch; the official language of Britain and the United States and most of the commonwealth countries.
- synonyms: English language
- The people of England.
- synonyms: English people
- The discipline that studies the English language and literature.
- Sports) the spin given to a ball by striking it on one side or releasing it with a sharp twist.
- synonyms: side
- Of or relating to or characteristic of England or its culture or people.
- usage: "English history"; "the English landed aristocracy"; "English literature"
- Of or relating to the English language. .
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). english. Retrieved January 19, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/english/definitions/1215356|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "english" http://smartdefine.org/english/definitions/1215356 (accessed January 19, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, english, Smart Define, viewed 19 January, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/english/definitions/1215356>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "english" 23 October 2010. Web. 19 January 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/english/definitions/1215356>|