- The first or highest in an ordering or series.
- usage: "He wanted to be the first"
- synonyms: number one
- The first element in a countable series.
- usage: "the first of the month"
- The time at which something is supposed to begin.
- usage: "they got an early start"; "she knew from the get-go that he was the man for her"
- The fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed at first of the bases in the infield (counting counterclockwise from home plate.
- synonyms: first base
- An honours degree of the highest class.
- synonyms: first-class honours degree
- The lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving.
- Preceding all others in time or space or degree.
- usage: "the first house on the right"; "the first day of spring"; "his first political race"; "her first baby"; "the first time"; "the first meetings of the new party"; "the first phase of his training"
- Indicating the beginning unit in a series.
- synonyms: 1st
- Serving to set in motion.
- usage: "the magazine's inaugural issue"; "the initiative phase in the negotiations"; "an initiatory step toward a treaty"; "his first (or maiden) speech in Congress"; "the liner's maiden voyage"
- Serving to begin.
- usage: "the beginning canto of the poem"; "the first verse"
- synonyms: beginning
- Ranking above all others.
- usage: "was first in her class"; "the foremost figure among marine artists"; "the top graduate"
- Highest in pitch or chief among parts or voices or instruments or orchestra sections.
- usage: "first soprano"; "the first violin section"; "played first horn"
- Before anything else.
- usage: "first we must consider the garter snake"
- The initial time.
- usage: "when Felix first saw a garter snake"
- synonyms: for the first time
- Before another in time, space, or importance.
- usage: "I was here first"; "let's do this job first"
- Prominently forward.
- usage: "he put his best foot foremost"
- synonyms: foremost
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). first. Retrieved August 20, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/first/definitions/1174152|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "first" http://smartdefine.org/first/definitions/1174152 (accessed August 20, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, first, Smart Define, viewed 20 August, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/first/definitions/1174152>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "first" 23 October 2010. Web. 20 August 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/first/definitions/1174152>|