- A display of bad temper.
- usage: "he had a fit"; "she threw a tantrum"; "he made a scene"
- A sudden uncontrollable attack.
- usage: "a paroxysm of giggling"; "a fit of coughing"; "convulsions of laughter"
- The manner in which something fits.
- usage: "I admired the fit of her coat"
- A sudden flurry of activity (often for no obvious reason. )
- usage: "a burst of applause"; "a fit of housecleaning"
- synonyms: burst
- Be agreeable or acceptable to.
- usage: "This suits my needs"
- Be the right size or shape; fit correctly or as desired.
- usage: "This piece won't fit into the puzzle"
- synonyms: go
- Satisfy a condition or restriction.
- usage: "Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree"
- Make fit.
- usage: "fit a dress"; "He fitted other pieces of paper to his cut-out"
- Insert or adjust several objects or people.
- usage: "Can you fit the toy into the box"; "This man can't fit himself into our work environment"
- Be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics.
- usage: "The two stories don't agree in many details"; "The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"; "The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
- Conform to some shape or size.
- usage: "How does this shirt fit"
- Provide with (something) usually for a specific purpose.
- usage: "The expedition was equipped with proper clothing, food, and other necessities"
- Make correspond or harmonize.
- usage: "Match my sweater"
- synonyms: match
- Meeting adequate standards for a purpose.
- usage: "a fit subject for discussion"; "it is fit and proper that you be there"; "water fit to drink"; "fit for duty"; "do as you see fit to"
- Usually followed by `to' or `for'. ( on the point of or strongly disposed)
- usage: "in no fit state to continue"; "fit to drop"; "laughing fit to burst"; "she was fit to scream"; "primed for a fight"; "we are set to go at any time"
- Physically and mentally sound or healthy.
- usage: "felt relaxed and fit after their holiday"; "keeps fit with diet and exercise"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). fit. Retrieved May 26, 2017, from http://smartdefine.org/fit/definitions/1174169|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "fit" http://smartdefine.org/fit/definitions/1174169 (accessed May 26, 2017).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, fit, Smart Define, viewed 26 May, 2017, <http://smartdefine.org/fit/definitions/1174169>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "fit" 23 October 2010. Web. 26 May 2017. <http://smartdefine.org/fit/definitions/1174169>|