- Informal terms for a difficult situation.
- usage: "he got into a terrible fix"; "he made a muddle of his marriage"
- Something craved, especially an intravenous injection of a narcotic drug.
- usage: "she needed a fix of chocolate"
- The act of putting something in working order again.
- An exemption granted after influence (e. G., money) is brought to bear.
- usage: "collusion resulted in tax fixes for gamblers"
- A determination of the place where something is.
- usage: "he got a good fix on the target"
- Restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or broken.
- usage: "She repaired her TV set"; "Repair my shoes please"
- Cause to be firmly attached.
- usage: "fasten the lock onto the door"; "she fixed her gaze on the man"
- Decide upon or fix definitely.
- usage: "fix the variables"; "specify the parameters"
- Prepare for eating by applying heat.
- usage: "Cook me dinner, please"; "can you make me an omelette"; "fix breakfast for the guests, please"
- Take vengeance on or get even.
- usage: "We'll get them"; "That'll fix him good"; "This time I got him"
- Set or place definitely.
- usage: "Let's fix the date for the party"
- Kill, preserve, and harden (tissue) in order to prepare for microscopic study.
- Make fixed, stable or stationary.
- usage: "let's fix the picture to the frame"
- synonyms: fixate
- Make infertile.
- usage: "in some countries, people with genetically transmissible disabilites are sterilized"
- Influence an event or its outcome by illegal means.
- usage: "fix a race"
- Put (something somewhere) firmly.
- usage: "She posited her hand on his shoulder"; "deposit the suitcase on the bench"; "fix your eyes on this spot"
- Make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc.
- usage: "Get the children ready for school"; "prepare for war"; "I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). fix. Retrieved August 16, 2017, from http://smartdefine.org/fix/definitions/1189510|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "fix" http://smartdefine.org/fix/definitions/1189510 (accessed August 16, 2017).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, fix, Smart Define, viewed 16 August, 2017, <http://smartdefine.org/fix/definitions/1189510>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "fix" 23 October 2010. Web. 16 August 2017. <http://smartdefine.org/fix/definitions/1189510>|