- A lofty level or position or degree.
- usage: "summer temperatures reached an all-time high"
- An air mass of higher than normal pressure.
- usage: "the east coast benefits from a Bermuda high"
- A state of sustained elation.
- usage: "I'm on a permanent high these days"
- A state of altered consciousness induced by alcohol or narcotics.
- usage: "they took drugs to get a high on"
- A high place.
- usage: "they stood on high and observed the countryside"; "he doesn't like heights"
- synonyms: heights
- A public secondary school usually including grades 9 through 12.
- usage: "he goes to the neighborhood highschool"
- A forward gear with a gear ratio that gives the greatest vehicle velocity for a given engine speed.
- synonyms: high gear
- Greater than normal in degree or intensity or amount.
- usage: "a high temperature"; "a high price"; "the high point of his career"; "high risks"; "has high hopes"; "the river is high"; "he has a high opinion of himself"
- Literal meaning. ( being at or having a relatively great or specific elevation or upward extension (sometimes used in combinations like `knee-high'))
- usage: "a high mountain"; "high ceilings"; "high buildings"; "a high forehead"; "a high incline"; "a foot high"
- Standing above others in quality or position.
- usage: "people in high places"; "the high priest"; "eminent members of the community"
- synonyms: eminent
- Used of sounds and voices; high in pitch or frequency.
- synonyms: high-pitched
- Happy and excited and energetic.
- synonyms: in high spirits
- Used of the smell of meat. ( smelling spoiled or tainted)
- Slightly and pleasantly intoxicated from alcohol or a drug (especially marijuana.
- synonyms: mellow
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). high. Retrieved May 28, 2017, from http://smartdefine.org/high/definitions/1175587|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "high" http://smartdefine.org/high/definitions/1175587 (accessed May 28, 2017).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, high, Smart Define, viewed 28 May, 2017, <http://smartdefine.org/high/definitions/1175587>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "high" 23 October 2010. Web. 28 May 2017. <http://smartdefine.org/high/definitions/1175587>|