- The sound of knocking (as on a door or in an engine or bearing. )
- usage: "the knocking grew louder"
- synonyms: knocking
- Negative criticism.
- synonyms: roast
- A vigorous blow.
- usage: "the sudden knock floored him"; "he took a bash right in his face"; "he got a bang on the head"
- A bad experience.
- usage: "the school of hard knocks"
- The act of hitting vigorously.
- usage: "he gave the table a whack"
- (v.) ()
- synonyms: strike hard
- Rap with the knuckles.
- usage: "knock on the door"
- Knock against with force or violence.
- usage: "My car bumped into the tree"
- synonyms: bump
- Make light, repeated taps on a surface.
- usage: "he was tapping his fingers on the table impatiently"
- Sound like a car engine that is firing too early.
- usage: "the car pinged when I put in low-octane gasoline"; "The car pinked when the ignition was too far retarded"
- Find fault with; express criticism of; point out real or perceived flaws.
- usage: "The paper criticized the new movie"; "Don't knock the food-it's free"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). knock. Retrieved January 21, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/knock/definitions/1189147|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "knock" http://smartdefine.org/knock/definitions/1189147 (accessed January 21, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, knock, Smart Define, viewed 21 January, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/knock/definitions/1189147>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "knock" 23 October 2010. Web. 21 January 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/knock/definitions/1189147>|