- A characteristic state or mode of living.
- usage: "social life"; "city life"; "real life"
- The experience of being alive; the course of human events and activities.
- usage: "he could no longer cope with the complexities of life"
- synonyms: living
- The course of existence of an individual; the actions and events that occur in living.
- usage: "he hoped for a new life in Australia"; "he wanted to live his own life without interference from others"
- The condition of living or the state of being alive.
- usage: "while there's life there's hope"; "life depends on many chemical and physical processes"
- The period during which something is functional (as between birth and death. )
- usage: "the battery had a short life"; "he lived a long and happy life"
- The period between birth and the present time.
- usage: "I have known him all his life"
- The period from the present until death.
- usage: "he appointed himself emperor for life"
- A living person.
- usage: "his heroism saved a life"
- Animation and energy in action or expression.
- usage: "it was a heavy play and the actors tried in vain to give life to it"
- Living things collectively.
- usage: "the oceans are teeming with life"
- The organic phenomenon that distinguishes living organisms from nonliving ones.
- usage: "there is no life on the moon"
- An account of the series of events making up a person's life.
- A motive for living.
- usage: "pottery was his life"
- A prison term lasting as long as the prisoner lives.
- usage: "he got life for killing the guard"
- synonyms: life sentence
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). life. Retrieved November 17, 2017, from http://smartdefine.org/life/definitions/1188656|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "life" http://smartdefine.org/life/definitions/1188656 (accessed November 17, 2017).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, life, Smart Define, viewed 17 November, 2017, <http://smartdefine.org/life/definitions/1188656>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "life" 23 October 2010. Web. 17 November 2017. <http://smartdefine.org/life/definitions/1188656>|