- An average of n numbers computed by adding some function of the numbers and dividing by some function of n.
- synonyms: mean value
- Mean or intend to express or convey.
- usage: "You never understand what I mean"; "what do his words intend"
- synonyms: intend
- Have as a logical consequence.
- usage: "The water shortage means that we have to stop taking long showers"
- Denote or connote.
- usage: "`maison' means `house' in French"; "An example sentence would show what this word means"
- Have in mind as a purpose.
- usage: "I mean no harm"; "I only meant to help you"; "She didn't think to harm me"; "We thought to return early that night"
- Have a specified degree of importance.
- usage: "My ex-husband means nothing to me"; "Happiness means everything"
- Intend to refer to.
- usage: "I'm thinking of good food when I talk about France"; "Yes, I meant you when I complained about people who gossip"
- Destine or designate for a certain purpose.
- usage: "These flowers were meant for you"
- Approximating the statistical norm or average or expected value.
- usage: "the average income in New England is below that of the nation"; "of average height for his age"; "the mean annual rainfall"
- synonyms: average
- Characterized by malice.
- usage: "a hateful thing to do"; "in a mean mood"
- synonyms: hateful
- Having or showing an ignoble lack of honor or morality.
- usage: "that liberal obedience without which your army would be a base rabble- Edmund Burke; "taking a mean advantage"; "chok'd with ambition of the meaner sort- Shakespeare; "something essentially vulgar and meanspirited in politics"
- usage: "famous for a mean backhand"
- Marked by poverty befitting a beggar.
- usage: "a beggarly existence in the slums"; "a mean hut"
- synonyms: beggarly
- Used of persons or behavior. ( characterized by or indicative of lack of generosity)
- usage: "a mean person"; "he left a miserly tip"
- Used of sums of money. ( so small in amount as to deserve contempt)
- synonyms: beggarly
- Of no value or worth.
- usage: "I was caught in the bastardly traffic"
- synonyms: bastardly
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). mean. Retrieved October 19, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/mean/definitions/1178200|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "mean" http://smartdefine.org/mean/definitions/1178200 (accessed October 19, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, mean, Smart Define, viewed 19 October, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/mean/definitions/1178200>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "mean" 23 October 2010. Web. 19 October 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/mean/definitions/1178200>|