- A language unit by which a person or thing is known.
- usage: "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
- A person's reputation.
- usage: "he wanted to protect his good name"
- Family based on male descent.
- usage: "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
- synonyms: gens
- A well-known or notable person.
- usage: "they studied all the great names in the history of France"; "she is an important figure in modern music"
- By the sanction or authority of.
- usage: "halt in the name of the law"
- A defamatory or abusive word or phrase.
- synonyms: epithet
- Assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to.
- usage: "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
- synonyms: call
- Give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property.
- usage: "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
- synonyms: identify
- Charge with a function; charge to be.
- usage: "She was named Head of the Committee"; "She was made president of the club"
- Create and charge with a task or function.
- usage: "nominate a committee"
- Mention and identify by name.
- usage: "name your accomplices"
- Make reference to.
- usage: "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
- Identify as in botany or biology, for example.
- Give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of.
- usage: "List the states west of the Mississippi"
- synonyms: list
- Determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis.
- synonyms: diagnose
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). name. Retrieved March 30, 2017, from http://smartdefine.org/name/definitions/1193573|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "name" http://smartdefine.org/name/definitions/1193573 (accessed March 30, 2017).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, name, Smart Define, viewed 30 March, 2017, <http://smartdefine.org/name/definitions/1193573>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "name" 23 October 2010. Web. 30 March 2017. <http://smartdefine.org/name/definitions/1193573>|