- The property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals.
- usage: "he had a number of chores to do"; "the number of parameters is small"; "the figure was about a thousand"
- synonyms: figure
- A concept of quantity involving zero and units.
- usage: "every number has a unique position in the sequence"
- A short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program.
- usage: "he did his act three times every evening"; "she had a catchy little routine"; "it was one of the best numbers he ever did"
- The number is used in calling a particular telephone.
- usage: "he has an unlisted number"
- A symbol used to represent a number.
- usage: "he learned to write the numerals before he went to school"
- synonyms: numeral
- One of a series published periodically.
- usage: "she found an old issue of the magazine in her dentist's waiting room"
- synonyms: issue
- A select company of people.
- usage: "I hope to become one of their number before I die"
- A numeral or string of numerals that is used for identification.
- usage: "she refused to give them her Social Security number"
- synonyms: identification number
- A clothing measurement.
- usage: "a number 13 shoe"
- The grammatical category for the forms of nouns and pronouns and verbs that are used depending on the number of entities involved (singular or dual or plural. )
- usage: "in English the subject and the verb must agree in number"
- An item of merchandise offered for sale.
- usage: "she preferred the black nylon number"; "this sweater is an all-wool number"
- Add up in number or quantity.
- usage: "The bills amounted to $2, 000"; "The bill came to $2, 000"
- Give numbers to.
- usage: "You should number the pages of the thesis"
- usage: "We must number the names of the great mathematicians"
- synonyms: list
- Put into a group.
- usage: "The academy counts several Nobel Prize winners among its members"
- synonyms: count
- Determine the number or amount of.
- usage: "Can you count the books on your shelf"; "Count your change"
- Place a limit on the number of.
- synonyms: keep down
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). number. Retrieved March 30, 2017, from http://smartdefine.org/number/definitions/1206282|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "number" http://smartdefine.org/number/definitions/1206282 (accessed March 30, 2017).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, number, Smart Define, viewed 30 March, 2017, <http://smartdefine.org/number/definitions/1206282>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "number" 23 October 2010. Web. 30 March 2017. <http://smartdefine.org/number/definitions/1206282>|