- An original creation (i. E., an audio recording) from which copies can be made.
- Something that serves as a model or a basis for making copies.
- usage: "this painting is a copy of the original"
- Preceding all others in time or being as first made or performed.
- usage: "the original inhabitants of the Americas"; "the book still has its original binding"; "restored the house to its original condition"; "the original performance of the opera"; "the original cast"; "retracted his original statement"
- Of e. G. Information. ( not secondhand or by way of something intermediary)
- usage: "his work is based on only original, not secondary, sources"
- Being or productive of something fresh and unusual; or being as first made or thought of.
- usage: "a truly original approach"; "with original music"; "an original mind"
- Not derived or copied or translated from something else.
- usage: "the play is original; not an adaptation"; "he kept the original copy and gave her only a xerox"; "the translation misses much of the subtlety of the original French"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). original. Retrieved May 22, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/original/definitions/1179972|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "original" http://smartdefine.org/original/definitions/1179972 (accessed May 22, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, original, Smart Define, viewed 22 May, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/original/definitions/1179972>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "original" 23 October 2010. Web. 22 May 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/original/definitions/1179972>|