- The particular portion of space occupied by something.
- usage: "he put the lamp back in its place"
- synonyms: place
- A point occupied by troops for tactical reasons.
- synonyms: military position
- A way of regarding situations or topics etc..
- usage: "consider what follows from the positivist view"
- The arrangement of the body and its limbs.
- usage: "he assumed an attitude of surrender"
- The relative position or standing of things or especially persons in a society.
- usage: "he had the status of a minor"; "the novel attained the status of a classic"; "atheists do not enjoy a favorable position in American life"
- synonyms: status
- A job in an organization.
- usage: "he occupied a post in the treasury"
- The spatial property of a place where or way in which something is situated.
- usage: "the position of the hands on the clock"; "he specified the spatial relations of every piece of furniture on the stage"
- synonyms: spatial relation
- The appropriate or customary location.
- usage: "the cars were in position"
- In team sports. ( the role assigned to an individual player)
- usage: "what position does he play"
- The act of putting something in a certain place.
- A condition or position in which you find yourself.
- usage: "the unpleasant situation (or position) of having to choose between two evils"; "found herself in a very fortunate situation"
- synonyms: situation
- A rationalized mental attitude.
- An opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute.
- usage: "there are two sides to every question"
- synonyms: side
- An item on a list or in a sequence.
- usage: "in the second place"; "moved from third to fifth position"
- synonyms: place
- The post or function properly or customarily occupied or served by another.
- usage: "can you go in my stead"; "took his place"; "in lieu of"
- The act of positing; an assumption taken as a postulate or axiom.
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). position. Retrieved April 26, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/position/definitions/1188909|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "position" http://smartdefine.org/position/definitions/1188909 (accessed April 26, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, position, Smart Define, viewed 26 April, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/position/definitions/1188909>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "position" 23 October 2010. Web. 26 April 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/position/definitions/1188909>|