- The period of time that is happening now; any continuous stretch of time including the moment of speech.
- usage: "that is enough for the present"; "he lives in the present with no thought of tomorrow"
- synonyms: nowadays
- Something presented as a gift.
- usage: "his tie was a present from his wife"
- A verb tense that expresses actions or states at the time of speaking.
- synonyms: present tense
- Give an exhibition of to an interested audience.
- usage: "She shows her dogs frequently"; "We will demo the new software in Washington"
- Bring forward and present to the mind.
- usage: "We presented the arguments to him"; "We cannot represent this knowledge to our formal reason"
- Perform (a play), especially on a stage.
- usage: "we are going to stage `Othello'"
- Hand over formally.
- synonyms: submit
- usage: "This poses an interesting question"
- synonyms: pose
- Give, especially as an honor or reward.
- usage: "bestow honors and prizes at graduation"
- synonyms: award
- Give as a present; make a gift of.
- usage: "What will you give her for her birthday"
- Deliver (a speech, oration, or idea. )
- usage: "The commencement speaker presented a forceful speech that impressed the students"
- synonyms: deliver
- Cause to come to know personally.
- usage: "permit me to acquaint you with my son"; "introduce the new neighbors to the community"
- Represent abstractly, for example in a painting, drawing, or sculpture.
- usage: "The father is portrayed as a good-looking man in this painting"
- synonyms: portray
- Present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize.
- usage: "We confronted him with the evidence"; "He was faced with all the evidence and could no longer deny his actions"; "An enormous dilemma faces us"
- Formally present a debutante, a representative of a country, etc..
- Recognize with a gesture prescribed by a military regulation; assume a prescribed position.
- usage: "When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute"
- synonyms: salute
- Temporal sense; intermediate between past and future; now existing or happening or in consideration.
- usage: "the present leader"; "articles for present use"; "the present topic"; "the present system"; "present observations"
- Being or existing in a specified place.
- usage: "the murderer is present in this room"; "present at the wedding"; "present at the creation"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). present. Retrieved June 23, 2017, from http://smartdefine.org/present/definitions/1181297|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "present" http://smartdefine.org/present/definitions/1181297 (accessed June 23, 2017).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, present, Smart Define, viewed 23 June, 2017, <http://smartdefine.org/present/definitions/1181297>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "present" 23 October 2010. Web. 23 June 2017. <http://smartdefine.org/present/definitions/1181297>|