- A period of calm weather.
- usage: "there was a lull in the storm"
- synonyms: lull
- An untroubled state; free from disturbances.
- The absence of sound.
- usage: "he needed silence in order to sleep"; "the street was quiet"
- synonyms: silence
- A disposition free from stress or emotion.
- Become quiet or quieter.
- usage: "The audience fell silent when the speaker entered"
- Make calm or still.
- usage: "quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
- Characterized by an absence or near absence of agitation or activity.
- usage: "a quiet life"; "a quiet throng of onlookers"; "quiet peace-loving people"; "the factions remained quiet for almost 10 years"
- Free of noise or uproar; or making little if any sound.
- usage: "a quiet audience at the concert"; "the room was dark and quiet"
- Not showy or obtrusive.
- usage: "clothes in quiet good taste"
- synonyms: restrained
- In a softened tone.
- usage: "hushed voices"; "muted trumpets"; "a subdued whisper"; "a quiet reprimand"
- Of a body of water. ( free from disturbance by heavy waves)
- usage: "a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"; "the quiet waters of a lagoon"; "a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"; "a smooth channel crossing"; "scarcely a ripple on the still water"; "unruffled water"
- Of the sun characterized by a low level of surface phenomena like sunspots e. G..
- With little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly'. )
- usage: "her hands rested quietly in her lap"; "the rock star was quietly led out the back door"; "sit here as quiet as you can"
- synonyms: quietly
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). quiet. Retrieved April 25, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/quiet/definitions/1181814|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "quiet" http://smartdefine.org/quiet/definitions/1181814 (accessed April 25, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, quiet, Smart Define, viewed 25 April, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/quiet/definitions/1181814>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "quiet" 23 October 2010. Web. 25 April 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/quiet/definitions/1181814>|