- (n.) second, sec, s (1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites)
- (n.) moment, mo, minute, second, bit (an indefinitely short time) "wait just a moment"; "in a mo"; "it only takes a minute"; "in just a bit"
- (n.) second base, second (the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the second of the bases in the infield)
- (n.) moment, minute, second, instant (a particular point in time) "the moment he arrived the party began"
- (n.) second (following the first in an ordering or series) "he came in a close second"
- (n.) second, arcsecond (a 60th part of a minute of arc) "the treasure is 2 minutes and 45 seconds south of here"
- (n.) second (the official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match)
- (n.) second, secondment, endorsement, indorsement (a speech seconding a motion) "do I hear a second"
- (n.) second gear, second (the gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle) "he had to shift down into second to make the hill"
- (n.) irregular, second (merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name)
- (v.) second, back, endorse, indorse (give support or one's approval to) "I'll second that motion"; "I can't back this plan"; "endorse a new project"
- (v.) second (transfer an employee to a different, temporary assignment) "The officer was seconded for duty overseas"
- (adj.) second, 2nd, 2d (coming next after the first in position in space or time or degree or magnitude)
- (adj.) second (a part or voice or instrument or orchestra section lower in pitch than or subordinate to the first) "second flute"; "the second violins"
- (adv.) second, secondly (in the second place) "second, we must consider the economy"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
|APA||WordNet. (2010). second. Retrieved December 20, 2014, from http://smartdefine.org/second/definitions/1182993|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "second" http://smartdefine.org/second/definitions/1182993 (accessed December 20, 2014).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, second, Smart Define, viewed 20 December, 2014, <http://smartdefine.org/second/definitions/1182993>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "second" 23 October 2010. Web. 20 December 2014. <http://smartdefine.org/second/definitions/1182993>|