- 1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites.
- An indefinitely short time.
- usage: "wait just a moment"; "in a mo"; "it only takes a minute"; "in just a bit"
- The fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the second of the bases in the infield.
- synonyms: second base
- A particular point in time.
- usage: "the moment he arrived the party began"
- Following the first in an ordering or series.
- usage: "he came in a close second"
- A 60th part of a minute of arc.
- usage: "the treasure is 2 minutes and 45 seconds south of here"
- synonyms: arcsecond
- The official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match.
- A speech seconding a motion.
- usage: "do I hear a second"
- The gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle.
- usage: "he had to shift down into second to make the hill"
- synonyms: second gear
- Merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name.
- synonyms: irregular
- Give support or one's approval to.
- usage: "I'll second that motion"; "I can't back this plan"; "endorse a new project"
- Transfer an employee to a different, temporary assignment.
- usage: "The officer was seconded for duty overseas"
- Coming next after the first in position in space or time or degree or magnitude.
- A part or voice or instrument or orchestra section lower in pitch than or subordinate to the first.
- usage: "second flute"; "the second violins"
- In the second place.
- usage: "second, we must consider the economy"
- synonyms: secondly
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). second. Retrieved October 1, 2016, from http://smartdefine.org/second/definitions/1182993|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "second" http://smartdefine.org/second/definitions/1182993 (accessed October 1, 2016).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, second, Smart Define, viewed 1 October, 2016, <http://smartdefine.org/second/definitions/1182993>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "second" 23 October 2010. Web. 1 October 2016. <http://smartdefine.org/second/definitions/1182993>|