- A self-contained part of a larger composition (written or musical. )
- usage: "he always turns first to the business section"; "the history of this work is discussed in the next section"
- synonyms: subdivision
- A very thin slice (of tissue or mineral or other substance) for examination under a microscope.
- usage: "sections from the left ventricle showed diseased tissue"
- A distinct region or subdivision of a territorial or political area or community or group of people.
- usage: "no section of the nation is more ardent than the South"; "there are three synagogues in the Jewish section"
- One of several parts or pieces that fit with others to constitute a whole object.
- usage: "a section of a fishing rod"; "metal sections were used below ground"; "finished the final segment of the road"
- synonyms: segment
- A small team of policemen working as part of a police platoon.
- One of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole.
- usage: "the written part of the exam"; "the finance section of the company"; "the BBC's engineering division"
- A land unit equal to 1 square mile.
- Geometry) the area created by a plane cutting through a solid.
- synonyms: plane section
- A small class of students who are part of a larger course but are taught separately.
- usage: "a graduate student taught sections for the professor's lecture course"
- synonyms: discussion section
- A division of an orchestra containing all instruments of the same class.
- A small army unit usually having a special function.
- A specialized division of a large organization.
- usage: "you'll find it in the hardware department"; "she got a job in the historical section of the Treasury"
- synonyms: department
- A segment of a citrus fruit.
- usage: "he ate a section of the orange"
- The cutting of or into body tissues or organs (especially by a surgeon as part of an operation.
- Divide into segments.
- usage: "segment an orange"; "segment a compound word"
- synonyms: segment
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). section. Retrieved May 23, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/section/definitions/1207766|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "section" http://smartdefine.org/section/definitions/1207766 (accessed May 23, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, section, Smart Define, viewed 23 May, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/section/definitions/1207766>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "section" 23 October 2010. Web. 23 May 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/section/definitions/1207766>|