- (n.) sense (a general conscious awareness) "a sense of security"; "a sense of happiness"; "a sense of danger"; "a sense of self"
- (n.) sense, signified (the meaning of a word or expression; the way in which a word or expression or situation can be interpreted) "the dictionary gave several senses for the word"; "in the best sense charity is really a duty"; "the signifier is linked to the signified"
- (n.) sense, sensation, sentience, sentiency, sensory faculty (the faculty through which the external world is apprehended) "in the dark he had to depend on touch and on his senses of smell and hearing"
- (n.) common sense, good sense, gumption, horse sense, sense, mother wit (sound practical judgment) "Common sense is not so common"; "he hasn't got the sense God gave little green apples"; "fortunately she had the good sense to run away"
- (n.) sense (a natural appreciation or ability) "a keen musical sense"; "a good sense of timing"
- (v.) feel, sense (perceive by a physical sensation, e. G., coming from the skin or muscles) "He felt the wind"; "She felt an object brushing her arm"; "He felt his flesh crawl"; "She felt the heat when she got out of the car"
- (v.) sense (detect some circumstance or entity automatically) "This robot can sense the presence of people in the room"; "particle detectors sense ionization"
- (v.) smell, smell out, sense (become aware of not through the senses but instinctively) "I sense his hostility"; "i smell trouble"; "smell out corruption"
- (v.) sense (comprehend) "I sensed the real meaning of his letter"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
|APA||WordNet. (2010). sense. Retrieved May 18, 2013, from http://smartdefine.org/sense/definitions/1213788|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "sense" http://smartdefine.org/sense/definitions/1213788 (accessed May 18, 2013).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, sense, Smart Define, viewed 18 May, 2013, <http://smartdefine.org/sense/definitions/1213788>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "sense" 23 October 2010. Web. 18 May 2013. <http://smartdefine.org/sense/definitions/1213788>|