- (n.) string, twine (a lightweight cord)
- (n.) bowed stringed instrument, string (stringed instruments that are played with a bow) "the strings played superlatively well"
- (n.) string (a tightly stretched cord of wire or gut, which makes sound when plucked, struck, or bowed)
- (n.) string, train (a sequentially ordered set of things or events or ideas in which each successive member is related to the preceding) "a string of islands"; "train of mourners"; "a train of thought"
- (n.) string (a linear sequence of symbols (characters or words or phrases))
- (n.) drawstring, drawing string, string (a tie consisting of a cord that goes through a seam around an opening) "he pulled the drawstring and closed the bag"
- (n.) string (a tough piece of fiber in vegetables, meat, or other food (especially the tough fibers connecting the two halves of a bean pod))
- (n.) string, cosmic string ((cosmology) a hypothetical one-dimensional subatomic particle having a concentration of energy and the dynamic properties of a flexible loop)
- (n.) string (a collection of objects threaded on a single strand)
- (n.) chain, string, strand (a necklace made by a stringing objects together) "a string of beads"; "a strand of pearls";
- (n.) string section, strings (the section of an orchestra that plays stringed instruments)
- (v.) string, thread, draw (thread on or as if on a string) "string pearls on a string"; "the child drew glass beads on a string"; "thread dried cranberries"
- (v.) string, string up (add as if on a string) "string these ideas together"; "string up these songs and you'll have a musical"
- (v.) string, string along (move or come along)
- (v.) string (stretch out or arrange like a string)
- (v.) string (string together; tie or fasten with a string) "string the package"
- (v.) string (remove the stringy parts of) "string beans"
- (v.) string (provide with strings) "string my guitar"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
|APA||WordNet. (2010). strings. Retrieved May 22, 2013, from http://smartdefine.org/strings/definitions/1313480|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "strings" http://smartdefine.org/strings/definitions/1313480 (accessed May 22, 2013).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, strings, Smart Define, viewed 22 May, 2013, <http://smartdefine.org/strings/definitions/1313480>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "strings" 23 October 2010. Web. 22 May 2013. <http://smartdefine.org/strings/definitions/1313480>|