- A detailed critical inspection.
- synonyms: survey
- Applying the mind to learning and understanding a subject (especially by reading. )
- usage: "mastering a second language requires a lot of work"; "no schools offer graduate study in interior design"
- synonyms: work
- A written document describing the findings of some individual or group.
- usage: "this accords with the recent study by Hill and Dale"
- A state of deep mental absorption.
- usage: "she is in a deep study"
- A room used for reading and writing and studying.
- usage: "he knocked lightly on the closed door of the study"
- A branch of knowledge.
- usage: "in what discipline is his doctorate"; "teachers should be well trained in their subject"; "anthropology is the study of human beings"
- Preliminary drawing for later elaboration.
- usage: "he made several studies before starting to paint"
- synonyms: sketch
- Attentive consideration and meditation.
- usage: "after much cogitation he rejected the offer"
- synonyms: cogitation
- Someone who memorizes quickly and easily (as the lines for a part in a play. )
- usage: "he is a quick study"
- A composition intended to develop one aspect of the performer's technique.
- usage: "a study in spiccato bowing"
- Consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover essential features or meaning.
- usage: "analyze a sonnet by Shakespeare"; "analyze the evidence in a criminal trial"; "analyze your real motives"
- Be a student; follow a course of study; be enrolled at an institute of learning.
- Give careful consideration to.
- usage: "consider the possibility of moving"
- synonyms: consider
- Be a student of a certain subject.
- usage: "She is reading for the bar exam"
- Learn by reading books.
- usage: "He is studying geology in his room"; "I have an exam next week; I must hit the books now"
- synonyms: hit the books
- Think intently and at length, as for spiritual purposes.
- usage: "He is meditating in his study"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). study. Retrieved June 26, 2017, from http://smartdefine.org/study/definitions/1208580|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "study" http://smartdefine.org/study/definitions/1208580 (accessed June 26, 2017).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, study, Smart Define, viewed 26 June, 2017, <http://smartdefine.org/study/definitions/1208580>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "study" 23 October 2010. Web. 26 June 2017. <http://smartdefine.org/study/definitions/1208580>|