- The tangible substance that goes into the makeup of a physical object.
- usage: "coal is a hard black material"; "wheat is the stuff they use to make bread"
- synonyms: material
- Miscellaneous unspecified objects.
- usage: "the trunk was full of stuff"
- Informal terms for personal possessions.
- usage: "did you take all your clobber"
- synonyms: clobber
- Senseless talk.
- usage: "don't give me that stuff"
- Unspecified qualities required to do or be something.
- usage: "the stuff of heros"; "you don't have the stuff to be a United States Marine"
- Information in some unspecified form.
- usage: "it was stuff I had heard before"; "there's good stuff in that book"
- A critically important or characteristic component.
- usage: "suspense is the very stuff of narrative"
- Cram into a cavity.
- usage: "The child stuffed candy into his pockets"
- Press or force.
- usage: "Stuff money into an envelope"; "She thrust the letter into his hand"
- usage: "My nose is all stuffed"; "Her arteries are blocked"
- Overeat or eat immodestly; make a pig of oneself.
- usage: "She stuffed herself at the dinner"; "The kids binged on ice cream"
- Treat with grease, fill, and prepare for mounting.
- usage: "stuff a bearskin"
- Fill tightly with a material.
- usage: "stuff a pillow with feathers"
- Fill with a stuffing while cooking.
- usage: "Have you stuffed the turkey yet"
- synonyms: farce
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). stuff. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/stuff/definitions/1208582|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "stuff" http://smartdefine.org/stuff/definitions/1208582 (accessed January 18, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, stuff, Smart Define, viewed 18 January, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/stuff/definitions/1208582>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "stuff" 23 October 2010. Web. 18 January 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/stuff/definitions/1208582>|