- Activity leading to skilled behavior.
- The result of good upbringing (especially knowledge of correct social behavior. )
- usage: "a woman of breeding and refinement"
- Create by training and teaching.
- usage: "The old master is training world-class violinists"; "we develop the leaders for the future"
- Undergo training or instruction in preparation for a particular role, function, or profession.
- usage: "She is training to be a teacher"; "He trained as a legal aid"
- Develop (children's) behavior by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control.
- usage: "Parents must discipline their children"; "Is this dog trained"
- Educate for a future role or function.
- usage: "He is grooming his son to become his successor"; "The prince was prepared to become King one day"; "They trained him to be a warrior"
- Teach or refine to be discriminative in taste or judgment.
- usage: "Cultivate your musical taste"; "Train your tastebuds"; "She is well schooled in poetry"
- Point or cause to go (blows, weapons, or objects such as photographic equipment) towards.
- usage: "Please don't aim at your little brother"; "He trained his gun on the burglar"; "Don't train your camera on the women"; "Take a swipe at one's opponent"
- Teach and supervise (someone); act as a trainer or coach (to. , as in sports)
- usage: "He is training our Olympic team"; "She is coaching the crew"
- Exercise in order to prepare for an event or competition.
- usage: "She is training for the Olympics"
- synonyms: train
- Cause to grow in a certain way by tying and pruning it.
- usage: "train the vine"
- synonyms: train
- Travel by rail or train.
- usage: "They railed from Rome to Venice"; "She trained to Hamburg"
- Drag loosely along a surface; allow to sweep the ground.
- usage: "The toddler was trailing his pants"; "She trained her long scarf behind her"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). training. Retrieved February 19, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/training/definitions/1192566|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "training" http://smartdefine.org/training/definitions/1192566 (accessed February 19, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, training, Smart Define, viewed 19 February, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/training/definitions/1192566>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "training" 23 October 2010. Web. 19 February 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/training/definitions/1192566>|