- Something (as property) held by one party (the trustee. for the benefit of another (the beneficiary))
- usage: "he is the beneficiary of a generous trust set up by his father"
- Certainty based on past experience.
- usage: "he wrote the paper with considerable reliance on the work of other scientists"; "he put more trust in his own two legs than in the gun"
- synonyms: reliance
- The trait of believing in the honesty and reliability of others.
- usage: "the experience destroyed his trust and personal dignity"
- A consortium of independent organizations formed to limit competition by controlling the production and distribution of a product or service.
- usage: "they set up the trust in the hope of gaining a monopoly"
- Complete confidence in a person or plan etc.
- usage: "he cherished the faith of a good woman"; "the doctor-patient relationship is based on trust"
- synonyms: faith
- A trustful relationship.
- usage: "he took me into his confidence"; "he betrayed their trust"
- synonyms: confidence
- Have confidence or faith in.
- usage: "We can trust in God"; "Rely on your friends"; "bank on your good education"; "I swear by my grandmother's recipes"
- Allow without fear.
- Be confident about something.
- usage: "I believe that he will come back from the war"
- synonyms: believe
- Expect and wish.
- usage: "I trust you will behave better from now on"; "I hope she understands that she cannot expect a raise"
- Confer a trust upon.
- usage: "The messenger was entrusted with the general's secret"; "I commit my soul to God"
- Extend credit to.
- usage: "don't trust my ex-wife; I won't pay her debts anymore"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). trust. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://smartdefine.org/trust/definitions/1323279|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "trust" http://smartdefine.org/trust/definitions/1323279 (accessed December 14, 2017).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, trust, Smart Define, viewed 14 December, 2017, <http://smartdefine.org/trust/definitions/1323279>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "trust" 23 October 2010. Web. 14 December 2017. <http://smartdefine.org/trust/definitions/1323279>|