- A unit of language that native speakers can identify.
- usage: "words are the blocks from which sentences are made"; "he hardly said ten words all morning"
- A brief statement.
- usage: "he didn't say a word about it"
- Information about recent and important events.
- usage: "they awaited news of the outcome"
- A verbal command for action.
- usage: "when I give the word, charge"
- An exchange of views on some topic.
- usage: "we had a good discussion"; "we had a word or two about it"
- A promise.
- usage: "he gave his word"
- A word is a string of bits stored in computer memory.
- usage: "large computers use words up to 64 bits long"
- The divine word of God; the second person in the Trinity (incarnate in Jesus.
- A secret word or phrase known only to a restricted group.
- usage: "he forgot the password"
- The sacred writings of the Christian religions.
- usage: "he went to carry the Word to the heathen"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). word. Retrieved August 20, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/word/definitions/1215805|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "word" http://smartdefine.org/word/definitions/1215805 (accessed August 20, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, word, Smart Define, viewed 20 August, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/word/definitions/1215805>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "word" 23 October 2010. Web. 20 August 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/word/definitions/1215805>|