- Chemical agent capable of activity.
- synonyms: active agent
- The voice used to indicate that the grammatical subject of the verb is performing the action or causing the happening denoted by the verb.
- usage: "`The boy threw the ball' uses the active voice"
- synonyms: active voice
- A person who is a participating member of an organization.
- usage: "the club issues a list of members, both the actives and the retirees"
- Tending to become more severe or wider in scope.
- usage: "active tuberculosis"
- Engaged in or ready for military or naval operations.
- usage: "on active duty"; "the platoon is combat-ready"; "review the fighting forces"
- Disposed to take action or effectuate change.
- usage: "a director who takes an active interest in corporate operations"; "an active antagonism"; "he was active in drawing attention to their grievances"
- Taking part in an activity.
- usage: "an active member of the club"; "he was politically active"; "the participating organizations"
- synonyms: participating
- Characterized by energetic activity.
- usage: "an active toddler"; "active as a gazelle"; "an active man is a man of action"
- Exerting influence or producing a change or effect.
- usage: "an active ingredient"
- Full of activity or engaged in continuous activity.
- usage: "an active seaport"; "an active bond market"; "an active account"
- In operation.
- usage: "keep hope alive"; "the tradition was still alive"; "an active tradition"
- synonyms: alive
- Of the sun. ( characterized by an increased occurrence of sunspots and flares and radio emissions)
- (adj.) ()
- Used of verbs (e. G. `to run') and participial adjectives (e. G. `running' in `running water'. () expressing action rather than a state of being)
- synonyms: dynamic
- Of e. G. Volcanos. ( capable of erupting)
- Of e. G. Volcanos. ( erupting or liable to erupt)
- usage: "active volcanos"
- Engaged in full-time work.
- usage: "active duty"; "though past retirement age he is still active in his profession"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). active. Retrieved January 22, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/active/definitions/1167279|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "active" http://smartdefine.org/active/definitions/1167279 (accessed January 22, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, active, Smart Define, viewed 22 January, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/active/definitions/1167279>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "active" 23 October 2010. Web. 22 January 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/active/definitions/1167279>|