- The part of the skull of a vertebrate that frames the mouth and holds the teeth.
- The bones of the skull that frame the mouth and serve to open it; the bones that hold the teeth.
- Holding device consisting of one or both of the opposing parts of a tool that close to hold an object.
- Talk socially without exchanging too much information.
- usage: "the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"
- Talk incessantly and tiresomely.
- Chew (food); to bite and grind with the teeth.
- usage: "He jawed his bubble gum"; "Chew your food and don't swallow it"; "The cows were masticating the grass"
- Censure severely or angrily.
- usage: "The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car"; "The deputy ragged the Prime Minister"; "The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). jaw. Retrieved April 22, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/jaw/definitions/1205162|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "jaw" http://smartdefine.org/jaw/definitions/1205162 (accessed April 22, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, jaw, Smart Define, viewed 22 April, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/jaw/definitions/1205162>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "jaw" 23 October 2010. Web. 22 April 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/jaw/definitions/1205162>|