- A preliminary election where delegates or nominees are chosen.
- synonyms: primary election
- One of the main flight feathers projecting along the outer edge of a bird's wing.
- Astronomy) a celestial body (especially a star) relative to other objects in orbit around it. (
- Coil forming the part of an electrical circuit such that changing current in it induces a current in a neighboring circuit.
- usage: "current through the primary coil induces current in the secondary coil"
- Of first rank or importance or value; direct and immediate rather than secondary.
- usage: "primary goals"; "a primary effect"; "primary sources"; "a primary interest"
- Not derived from or reducible to something else; basic.
- usage: "a primary instinct"
- Most important element.
- usage: "the chief aim of living"; "the main doors were of solid glass"; "the principal rivers of America"; "the principal example"; "policemen were primary targets"; "the master bedroom"; "a master switch"
- Of or being the essential or basic part.
- usage: "an elementary need for love and nurturing"
- Of primary importance.
- synonyms: basal
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). primary. Retrieved February 17, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/primary/definitions/1181356|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "primary" http://smartdefine.org/primary/definitions/1181356 (accessed February 17, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, primary, Smart Define, viewed 17 February, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/primary/definitions/1181356>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "primary" 23 October 2010. Web. 17 February 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/primary/definitions/1181356>|