- A cue given to a performer (usually the beginning of the next line to be spoken. )
- usage: "the audience could hear his prompting"
- synonyms: prompting
- Computer science. ( a symbol that appears on the computer screen to indicate that the computer is ready to receive a command)
- synonyms: command prompt
- Give an incentive for action.
- usage: "This moved me to sacrifice my career"
- Serve as the inciting cause of.
- usage: "She prompted me to call my relatives"
- Assist (somebody acting or reciting) by suggesting the next words of something forgotten or imperfectly learned.
- According to schedule or without delay; on time.
- usage: "the train is prompt"
- Ready and willing or quick to act.
- usage: "she is always prompt to help her friends";
- Performed with little or no delay.
- usage: "an immediate reply to my letter"; "a prompt reply"; "was quick to respond"; "a straightaway denial"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). prompt. Retrieved January 22, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/prompt/definitions/1181457|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "prompt" http://smartdefine.org/prompt/definitions/1181457 (accessed January 22, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, prompt, Smart Define, viewed 22 January, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/prompt/definitions/1181457>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "prompt" 23 October 2010. Web. 22 January 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/prompt/definitions/1181457>|