- Something done (usually as opposed to something said. )
- usage: "there were stories of murders and other unnatural actions"
- The state of being active.
- usage: "his sphere of activity"; "he is out of action"
- A military engagement.
- usage: "he saw action in Korea"
- synonyms: military action
- A process existing in or produced by nature (rather than by the intent of human beings. )
- usage: "the action of natural forces"; "volcanic activity"
- The series of events that form a plot.
- usage: "his novels always have a lot of action"
- The trait of being active and energetic and forceful.
- usage: "a man of action"
- The operating part that transmits power to a mechanism.
- usage: "the piano had a very stiff action"
- synonyms: action mechanism
- A judicial proceeding brought by one party against another; one party prosecutes another for a wrong done or for protection of a right or for prevention of a wrong.
- An act by a government body or supranational organization.
- usage: "recent federal action undermined the segregationist position"; "the United Nations must have the power to propose and organize action without being hobbled by irrelevant issues"; "the Union action of emancipating Southern slaves"
- The most important or interesting work or activity in a specific area or field.
- usage: "the action is no longer in technology stocks but in municipal bonds"; "gawkers always try to get as close to the action as possible"
- Institute legal proceedings against; file a suit against.
- usage: "He was warned that the district attorney would process him"; "She actioned the company for discrimination"
- Put in effect.
- usage: "carry out a task"; "execute the decision of the people"; "He actioned the operation"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). action. Retrieved February 16, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/action/definitions/1188701|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "action" http://smartdefine.org/action/definitions/1188701 (accessed February 16, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, action, Smart Define, viewed 16 February, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/action/definitions/1188701>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "action" 23 October 2010. Web. 16 February 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/action/definitions/1188701>|