- Pain that feels hot as if it were on fire.
- synonyms: burning
- A browning of the skin resulting from exposure to the rays of the sun.
- An injury caused by exposure to heat or chemicals or radiation.
- A place or area that has been burned (especially on a person's body.
- synonyms: burn mark
- Damage inflicted by fire.
- Destroy by fire.
- usage: "They burned the house and his diaries"
- Shine intensely, as if with heat.
- usage: "The coals were glowing in the dark"; "The candles were burning"
- synonyms: glow
- Undergo combustion.
- usage: "Maple wood burns well"
- synonyms: combust
- Cause a sharp or stinging pain or discomfort.
- usage: "The sun burned his face"
- Cause to burn or combust.
- usage: "The sun burned off the fog"; "We combust coal and other fossil fuels"
- synonyms: combust
- Feel strong emotion, especially anger or passion.
- usage: "She was burning with anger"; "He was burning to try out his new skies"
- Cause to undergo combustion.
- usage: "burn garbage"; "The car burns only Diesel oil"
- synonyms: incinerate
- Burn at the stake.
- usage: "Witches were burned in Salem"
- Spend (significant amounts of money. )
- usage: "He has money to burn"
- Feel hot or painful.
- usage: "My eyes are burning"
- Burn, sear, or freeze (tissue) using a hot iron or electric current or a caustic agent.
- usage: "The surgeon cauterized the wart"
- Get a sunburn by overexposure to the sun.
- synonyms: sunburn
- Create by duplicating data.
- usage: "cut a disk"; "burn a CD"
- synonyms: cut
- Use up (energy. )
- usage: "burn off calories through vigorous exercise"
- Burn with heat, fire, or radiation.
- usage: "The iron burnt a hole in my dress"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). burn. Retrieved April 24, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/burn/definitions/1190338|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "burn" http://smartdefine.org/burn/definitions/1190338 (accessed April 24, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, burn, Smart Define, viewed 24 April, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/burn/definitions/1190338>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "burn" 23 October 2010. Web. 24 April 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/burn/definitions/1190338>|