- A level tract of land.
- usage: "the salt flats of Utah"
- A shallow box in which seedlings are started.
- A musical notation indicating one half step lower than the note named.
- Freight car without permanent sides or roof.
- A deflated pneumatic tire.
- synonyms: flat tire
- Scenery consisting of a wooden frame covered with painted canvas; part of a stage setting.
- A suite of rooms usually on one floor of an apartment house.
- synonyms: apartment
- Having a surface without slope, tilt in which no part is higher or lower than another.
- usage: "a flat desk"; "acres of level farmland"; "a plane surface"; "skirts sewn with fine flat seams"
- Having a relatively broad surface in relation to depth or thickness.
- usage: "flat computer monitors"
- Not modified or restricted by reservations.
- usage: "a categorical denial"; "a flat refusal"
- Stretched out and lying at full length along the ground.
- usage: "found himself lying flat on the floor"
- synonyms: prostrate
- Lacking contrast or shading between tones.
- Of a musical note. ( lowered in pitch by one chromatic semitone)
- usage: "B flat"
- Flattened laterally along the whole length (e. G., certain leafstalks or flatfishes.
- synonyms: compressed
- Lacking taste or flavor or tang.
- usage: "a bland diet"; "insipid hospital food"; "flavorless supermarket tomatoes"; "vapid beer"; "vapid tea"
- Lacking stimulating characteristics; uninteresting.
- usage: "a bland little drama"; "a flat joke"
- synonyms: bland
- Having lost effervescence.
- usage: "flat beer"; "a flat cola"
- Sounded or spoken in a tone unvarying in pitch.
- usage: "the owl's faint monotonous hooting"
- Horizontally level.
- usage: "a flat roof"
- Lacking the expected range or depth; not designed to give an illusion or depth.
- usage: "a film with two-dimensional characters"; "a flat two-dimensional painting"
- Not reflecting light; not glossy.
- usage: "flat wall paint"; "a photograph with a matte finish"
- Commercially inactive.
- usage: "flat sales for the month"; "prices remained flat"; "a flat market"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). flat. Retrieved July 20, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/flat/definitions/1174216|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "flat" http://smartdefine.org/flat/definitions/1174216 (accessed July 20, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, flat, Smart Define, viewed 20 July, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/flat/definitions/1174216>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "flat" 23 October 2010. Web. 20 July 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/flat/definitions/1174216>|