- The act of smoothing.
- usage: "he gave his hair a quick smooth"
- Make smooth or smoother, as if by rubbing.
- usage: "smooth the surface of the wood"
- synonyms: smoothen
- Make (a surface) shine.
- usage: "shine the silver, please"; "polish my shoes"
- Free from obstructions.
- usage: "smooth the way towards peace negotiations"
- synonyms: smooth out
- Having a surface free from roughness or bumps or ridges or irregularities.
- usage: "smooth skin"; "a smooth tabletop"; "smooth fabric"; "a smooth road"; "water as smooth as a mirror"
- Smoothly agreeable and courteous with a degree of sophistication.
- usage: "he was too politic to quarrel with so important a personage"; "the manager pacified the customer with a smooth apology for the error"
- Of the margin of a leaf shape; not broken up into teeth.
- Smooth and unconstrained in movement.
- usage: "a long, smooth stride"; "the fluid motion of a cat"; "the liquid grace of a ballerina"
- Music) without breaks between notes; smooth and connected. (
- usage: "a legato passage"
- synonyms: legato
- Of motion that runs or flows or proceeds without jolts or turbulence.
- usage: "a smooth ride"
- Lacking obstructions or difficulties.
- usage: "the bill's path through the legislature was smooth and orderly"
- Of a body of water. ( free from disturbance by heavy waves)
- usage: "a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"; "the quiet waters of a lagoon"; "a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"; "a smooth channel crossing"; "scarcely a ripple on the still water"; "unruffled water"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). smooth. Retrieved February 16, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/smooth/definitions/1183809|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "smooth" http://smartdefine.org/smooth/definitions/1183809 (accessed February 16, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, smooth, Smart Define, viewed 16 February, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/smooth/definitions/1183809>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "smooth" 23 October 2010. Web. 16 February 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/smooth/definitions/1183809>|