- The state of matter distinguished from the solid and liquid states by: relatively low density and viscosity; relatively great expansion and contraction with changes in pressure and temperature; the ability to diffuse readily; and the spontaneous tendency to become distributed uniformly throughout any container.
- synonyms: gaseous state
- A fluid in the gaseous state having neither independent shape nor volume and being able to expand indefinitely.
- A volatile flammable mixture of hydrocarbons (hexane and heptane and octane etc.) derived from petroleum; used mainly as a fuel in internal-combustion engines.
- A state of excessive gas in the alimentary canal.
- A pedal that controls the throttle valve.
- usage: "he stepped on the gas"
- A fossil fuel in the gaseous state; used for cooking and heating homes.
- synonyms: natural gas
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). gas. Retrieved January 16, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/gas/definitions/1247078|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "gas" http://smartdefine.org/gas/definitions/1247078 (accessed January 16, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, gas, Smart Define, viewed 16 January, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/gas/definitions/1247078>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "gas" 23 October 2010. Web. 16 January 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/gas/definitions/1247078>|