- Location near or direction toward the left side; i. E. The side to the north when a person or object faces east.
- usage: "she stood on the left"
- Those who support varying degrees of social or political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare.
- synonyms: left wing
- The hand that is on the left side of the body.
- usage: "jab with your left"
- synonyms: left hand
- The piece of ground in the outfield on the catcher's left.
- usage: "the batter flied out to left"
- A turn toward the side of the body that is on the north when the person is facing east.
- usage: "take a left at the corner"
- Go away from a place.
- usage: "At what time does your train leave"; "She didn't leave until midnight"; "The ship leaves at midnight"
- Go and leave behind, either intentionally or by neglect or forgetfulness.
- usage: "She left a mess when she moved out"; "His good luck finally left him"; "her husband left her after 20 years of marriage"; "she wept thinking she had been left behind"
- synonyms: leave
- Act or be so as to become in a specified state.
- usage: "The inflation left them penniless"; "The president's remarks left us speechless"
- synonyms: leave
- Leave unchanged or undisturbed or refrain from taking.
- usage: "leave it as is"; "leave the young fawn alone"; "leave the flowers that you see in the park behind"
- Move out of or depart from.
- usage: "leave the room"; "the fugitive has left the country"
- Make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain.
- usage: "This leaves no room for improvement"; "The evidence allows only one conclusion"; "allow for mistakes"; "leave lots of time for the trip"; "This procedure provides for lots of leeway"
- Have as a result or residue.
- usage: "The water left a mark on the silk dress"; "Her blood left a stain on the napkin"
- Remove oneself from an association with or participation in.
- usage: "She wants to leave"; "The teenager left home"; "She left her position with the Red Cross"; "He left the Senate after two terms"; "after 20 years with the same company, she pulled up stakes"
- Put into the care or protection of someone.
- usage: "He left the decision to his deputy"; "leave your child the nurse's care"
- Leave or give by will after one's death.
- usage: "My aunt bequeathed me all her jewelry"; "My grandfather left me his entire estate"
- Have left or have as a remainder.
- usage: "That left the four of us"; "19 minus 8 leaves 11"
- synonyms: leave
- Be survived by after one's death.
- usage: "He left six children"; "At her death, she left behind her husband and 11 cats"
- Transmit (knowledge or skills. )
- usage: "give a secret to the Russians"; "leave your name and address here"; "impart a new skill to the students"
- Leave behind unintentionally.
- usage: "I forgot my umbrella in the restaurant"; "I left my keys inside the car and locked the doors"
- Being or located on or directed toward the side of the body to the west when facing north.
- usage: "my left hand"; "left center field"; "the left bank of a river is bank on your left side when you are facing downstream"
- Not used up.
- usage: "leftover meatloaf"; "she had a little money left over so she went to a movie"; "some odd dollars left"; "saved the remaining sandwiches for supper"; "unexpended provisions"
- Intended for the left hand.
- usage: "I rarely lose a left-hand glove"
- synonyms: left-hand
- Of or belonging to the political or intellectual left.
- Toward or on the left; also used figuratively.
- usage: "he looked right and left"; "the political party has moved left"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). left. Retrieved September 24, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/left/definitions/1177435|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "left" http://smartdefine.org/left/definitions/1177435 (accessed September 24, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, left, Smart Define, viewed 24 September, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/left/definitions/1177435>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "left" 23 October 2010. Web. 24 September 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/left/definitions/1177435>|