- A meeting at which a number of athletic contests are held.
- synonyms: sports meeting
- Come together.
- usage: "I'll probably see you at the meeting"; "How nice to see you again"
- Get together socially or for a specific purpose.
- synonyms: get together
- Be adjacent or come together.
- usage: "The lines converge at this point"
- synonyms: converge
- Fill or meet a want or need.
- Satisfy a condition or restriction.
- usage: "Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree"
- Satisfy or fulfill.
- usage: "meet a need"; "this job doesn't match my dreams"
- Collect in one place.
- usage: "We assembled in the church basement"; "Let's gather in the dining room"
- Get to know; get acquainted with.
- usage: "I met this really handsome guy at a bar last night"; "we met in Singapore"
- Meet by design; be present at the arrival of.
- usage: "Can you meet me at the train station"
- Contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle.
- usage: "Princeton plays Yale this weekend"; "Charlie likes to play Mary"
- Experience as a reaction.
- usage: "My proposal met with much opposition"
- Undergo or suffer.
- usage: "meet a violent death"; "suffer a terrible fate"
- synonyms: suffer
- Be in direct physical contact with; make contact.
- usage: "The two buildings touch"; "Their hands touched"; "The wire must not contact the metal cover"; "The surfaces contact at this point"
- Being precisely fitting and right.
- usage: "it is only meet that she should be seated first"
- synonyms: fitting
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). meet. Retrieved February 24, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/meet/definitions/1178246|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "meet" http://smartdefine.org/meet/definitions/1178246 (accessed February 24, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, meet, Smart Define, viewed 24 February, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/meet/definitions/1178246>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "meet" 23 October 2010. Web. 24 February 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/meet/definitions/1178246>|