- A visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface.
- usage: "they showed us the pictures of their wedding"; "a movie is a series of images projected so rapidly that the eye integrates them"
- Graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface.
- usage: "a small painting by Picasso"; "he bought the painting as an investment"; "his pictures hang in the Louvre"
- synonyms: painting
- A clear and telling mental image.
- usage: "he described his mental picture of his assailant"; "he had no clear picture of himself or his world"; "the events left a permanent impression in his mind"
- A situation treated as an observable object.
- usage: "the political picture is favorable"; "the religious scene in England has changed in the last century"
- synonyms: scene
- Illustrations used to decorate or explain a text.
- usage: "the dictionary had many pictures"
- synonyms: pictorial matter
- A form of entertainment that enacts a story by sound and a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement.
- usage: "they went to a movie every Saturday night"; "the film was shot on location"
- The visible part of a television transmission.
- usage: "they could still receive the sound but the picture was gone"
- synonyms: video
- A graphic or vivid verbal description.
- usage: "too often the narrative was interrupted by long word pictures"; "the author gives a depressing picture of life in Poland"; "the pamphlet contained brief characterizations of famous Vermonters"
- A typical example of some state or quality.
- usage: "the very picture of a modern general"; "she was the picture of despair"
- A representation of a person or scene in the form of a print or transparent slide; recorded by a camera on light-sensitive material.
- Imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind.
- usage: "I can't see him on horseback"; "I can see what will happen"; "I can see a risk in this strategy"
- Show in, or as in, a picture.
- usage: "This scene depicts country life"; "the face of the child is rendered with much tenderness in this painting"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). picture. Retrieved July 17, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/picture/definitions/1206748|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "picture" http://smartdefine.org/picture/definitions/1206748 (accessed July 17, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, picture, Smart Define, viewed 17 July, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/picture/definitions/1206748>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "picture" 23 October 2010. Web. 17 July 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/picture/definitions/1206748>|