- A separately printed article that originally appeared in a larger publication.
- A garment that can be purchased separately and worn in combinations with other garments.
- Act as a barrier between; stand between.
- usage: "The mountain range divides the two countries"
- synonyms: divide
- Force, take, or pull apart.
- usage: "He separated the fighting children"; "Moses parted the Red Sea"
- Mark as different.
- usage: "We distinguish several kinds of maple"
- Separate into parts or portions.
- usage: "divide the cake into three equal parts"; "The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I"
- Divide into components or constituents.
- usage: "Separate the wheat from the chaff"
- Arrange or order by classes or categories.
- usage: "How would you classify these pottery shards-are they prehistoric"
- Make a division or separation.
- synonyms: divide
- Discontinue an association or relation; go different ways.
- usage: "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
- Go one's own way; move apart.
- usage: "The friends separated after the party"
- Become separated into pieces or fragments.
- usage: "The figurine broke"; "The freshly baked loaf fell apart"
- Treat differently on the basis of sex or race.
- Come apart.
- usage: "The two pieces that we had glued separated"
- Divide into two or more branches so as to form a fork.
- usage: "The road forks"
- Independent; not united or joint.
- usage: "a problem consisting of two separate issues"; "they went their separate ways"; "formed a separate church"
- Standing apart; not attached to or supported by anything.
- usage: "a freestanding bell tower"; "a house with a separate garage"
- synonyms: freestanding
- Separated according to race, sex, class, or religion.
- usage: "separate but equal"; "girls and boys in separate classes"
- Have the connection undone; having become separate.
- synonyms: disjoined
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). separate. Retrieved February 23, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/separate/definitions/1183240|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "separate" http://smartdefine.org/separate/definitions/1183240 (accessed February 23, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, separate, Smart Define, viewed 23 February, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/separate/definitions/1183240>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "separate" 23 October 2010. Web. 23 February 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/separate/definitions/1183240>|