- The sensation that results when olfactory receptors in the nose are stimulated by particular chemicals in gaseous form.
- usage: "she loved the smell of roses"
- Any property detected by the olfactory system.
- The general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people.
- usage: "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
- The faculty that enables us to distinguish scents.
- The act of perceiving the odor of something.
- synonyms: smelling
- Inhale the odor of; perceive by the olfactory sense.
- Emit an odor.
- usage: "The soup smells good"
- Smell bad.
- usage: "He rarely washes, and he smells"
- Have an element suggestive (of something. )
- usage: "his speeches smacked of racism"; "this passage smells of plagiarism"
- Become aware of not through the senses but instinctively.
- usage: "I sense his hostility"; "i smell trouble"; "smell out corruption"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). smell. Retrieved February 23, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/smell/definitions/1192507|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "smell" http://smartdefine.org/smell/definitions/1192507 (accessed February 23, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, smell, Smart Define, viewed 23 February, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/smell/definitions/1192507>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "smell" 23 October 2010. Web. 23 February 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/smell/definitions/1192507>|