- A fact about some part (as opposed to general. )
- usage: "he always reasons from the particular to the general"
- synonyms: particular
- A medicine that has a mitigating effect on a specific disease.
- usage: "quinine is a specific for malaria"
- Sometimes followed by `to'. ( applying to or characterized by or distinguishing something particular or special or unique)
- usage: "rules with specific application"; "demands specific to the job"; "a specific and detailed account of the accident"
- Stated explicitly or in detail.
- usage: "needed a specific amount"
- Relating to or distinguishing or constituting a taxonomic species.
- usage: "specific characters"
- Being or affecting a disease produced by a particular microorganism or condition; used also of stains or dyes used in making microscope slides.
- usage: "quinine is highly specific for malaria"; "a specific remedy"; "a specific stain is one having a specific affinity for particular structural elements"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). specific. Retrieved October 16, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/specific/definitions/1184076|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "specific" http://smartdefine.org/specific/definitions/1184076 (accessed October 16, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, specific, Smart Define, viewed 16 October, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/specific/definitions/1184076>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "specific" 23 October 2010. Web. 16 October 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/specific/definitions/1184076>|