- A record or narrative description of past events.
- usage: "a history of France"; "he gave an inaccurate account of the plot to kill the president"; "the story of exposure to lead"
- A short account of the news.
- usage: "the report of his speech"; "the story was on the 11 o'clock news"; "the account of his speech that was given on the evening news made the governor furious"
- A formal contractual relationship established to provide for regular banking or brokerage or business services.
- usage: "he asked to see the executive who handled his account"
- synonyms: business relationship
- A statement that makes something comprehensible by describing the relevant structure or operation or circumstances etc..
- usage: "the explanation was very simple"; "I expected a brief account"
- synonyms: explanation
- usage: "don't do it on my account"; "the paper was rejected on account of its length"; "he tried to blame the victim but his success on that score was doubtful"
- synonyms: score
- Importance or value.
- usage: "a person of considerable account"; "he predicted that although it is of small account now it will rapidly increase in importance"
- A statement of recent transactions and the resulting balance.
- usage: "they send me an accounting every month"
- The act of informing by verbal report.
- usage: "he heard reports that they were causing trouble"; "by all accounts they were a happy couple"
- synonyms: report
- An itemized statement of money owed for goods shipped or services rendered.
- usage: "he paid his bill and left"; "send me an account of what I owe"
- The quality of taking advantage.
- usage: "she turned her writing skills to good account"
- Be the sole or primary factor in the existence, acquisition, supply, or disposal of something.
- usage: "Passing grades account for half of the grades given in this exam"
- Keep an account of.
- synonyms: calculate
- To give an account or representation of in words.
- usage: "Discreet Italian police described it in a manner typically continental"
- Furnish a justifying analysis or explanation.
- usage: "I can't account for the missing money"
- synonyms: answer for
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). account. Retrieved July 17, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/account/definitions/1211772|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "account" http://smartdefine.org/account/definitions/1211772 (accessed July 17, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, account, Smart Define, viewed 17 July, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/account/definitions/1211772>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "account" 23 October 2010. Web. 17 July 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/account/definitions/1211772>|