- A written document describing the findings of some individual or group.
- usage: "this accords with the recent study by Hill and Dale"
- The act of informing by verbal report.
- usage: "he heard reports that they were causing trouble"; "by all accounts they were a happy couple"
- synonyms: account
- A short account of the news.
- usage: "the report of his speech"; "the story was on the 11 o'clock news"; "the account of his speech that was given on the evening news made the governor furious"
- A sharp explosive sound (especially the sound of a gun firing. )
- usage: "they heard a violent report followed by silence"
- A written evaluation of a student's scholarship and deportment.
- usage: "his father signed his report card"
- synonyms: report card
- An essay (especially one written as an assignment. )
- usage: "he got an A on his composition"
- The general estimation that the public has for a person.
- usage: "he acquired a reputation as an actor before he started writing"; "he was a person of bad report"
- synonyms: reputation
- To give an account or representation of in words.
- usage: "Discreet Italian police described it in a manner typically continental"
- Announce as the result of an investigation or experience or finding.
- usage: "Dozens of incidents of wife beatings are reported daily in this city"; "The team reported significant advances in their research"
- Announce one's presence.
- usage: "I report to work every day at 9 o'clock"
- Make known to the authorities.
- usage: "One student reported the other to the principal"
- Be responsible for reporting the details of, as in journalism.
- usage: "Snow reported on China in the 1950's"; "The cub reporter covered New York City"
- synonyms: cover
- Complain about; make a charge against.
- usage: "I reported her to the supervisor"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). report. Retrieved June 24, 2018, from http://smartdefine.org/report/definitions/1217245|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "report" http://smartdefine.org/report/definitions/1217245 (accessed June 24, 2018).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, report, Smart Define, viewed 24 June, 2018, <http://smartdefine.org/report/definitions/1217245>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "report" 23 October 2010. Web. 24 June 2018. <http://smartdefine.org/report/definitions/1217245>|