- (n.) A moderate but disagreeable degree of cold; a disagreeable sensation of coolness, accompanied with shivering.
- (a.) Discouraging; depressing; dispiriting.
- (n.) An iron mold or portion of a mold, serving to cool rapidly, and so to harden, the surface of molten iron brought in contact with it.
- (a.) Characterized by coolness of manner, feeling, etc.; lacking enthusiasm or warmth; formal; distant; as, a chill reception.
- (v.i.) To become surface-hardened by sudden cooling while solidifying; as, some kinds of cast iron chill to a greater depth than others.
- (v.t.) To produce, by sudden cooling, a change of crystallization at or near the surface of, so as to increase the hardness; said of cast iron.
- (n.) A check to enthusiasm or warmth of feeling; discouragement; as, a chill comes over an assembly.
- (n.) A sensation of cold with convulsive shaking of the body, pinched face, pale skin, and blue lips, caused by undue cooling of the body or by nervous excitement or forming the precursor of some constitutional disturbance, as of a fever.
- (v.t.) To check enthusiasm or warmth of feeling of; to depress; to discourage.
- (a.) Moderately cold; tending to cause shivering; chilly; raw.
- (a.) Affected by cold.
- (v.t.) To strike with a chill; to make chilly; to cause to shiver; to affect with cold.
- (n.) The hardened part of a casting, as the tread of a car wheel.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
|APA||Webster's. (2011). chill. Retrieved February 23, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/chill/definitions/1986790|
|Chicago||Webster's. 2011. "chill" http://smartdefine.org/chill/definitions/1986790 (accessed February 23, 2019).|
|Harvard||Webster's 2011, chill, Smart Define, viewed 23 February, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/chill/definitions/1986790>.|
|MLA||Webster's. "chill" 27 May 2011. Web. 23 February 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/chill/definitions/1986790>|