- The choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience.
- usage: "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
- Any substance possessing to a high degree the predominant properties of a plant or drug or other natural product from which it is extracted.
- The central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work.
- A toiletry that emits and diffuses a fragrant odor.
- synonyms: perfume
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). essence. Retrieved April 20, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/essence/definitions/1249768|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "essence" http://smartdefine.org/essence/definitions/1249768 (accessed April 20, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, essence, Smart Define, viewed 20 April, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/essence/definitions/1249768>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "essence" 23 October 2010. Web. 20 April 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/essence/definitions/1249768>|