- The locus of feelings and intuitions.
- usage: "in your heart you know it is true"; "her story would melt your bosom"
- synonyms: bosom
- The hollow muscular organ located behind the sternum and between the lungs; its rhythmic contractions move the blood through the body.
- usage: "he stood still, his heart thumping wildly"
- The courage to carry on.
- usage: "he kept fighting on pure spunk"; "you haven't got the heart for baseball"
- An area that is approximately central within some larger region.
- usage: "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm"
- The choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience.
- usage: "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
- An inclination or tendency of a certain kind.
- usage: "he had a change of heart"
- synonyms: spirit
- A plane figure with rounded sides curving inward at the top and intersecting at the bottom; conventionally used on playing cards and valentines.
- usage: "he drew a heart and called it a valentine"
- A firm rather dry variety meat (usually beef or veal. )
- usage: "a five-pound beef heart will serve six"
- A positive feeling of liking.
- usage: "he had trouble expressing the affection he felt"; "the child won everyone's heart"; "the warmness of his welcome made us feel right at home"
- A playing card in the major suit that has one or more red hearts on it.
- usage: "he led the queen of hearts"; "hearts were trumps"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). heart. Retrieved February 23, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/heart/definitions/1204772|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "heart" http://smartdefine.org/heart/definitions/1204772 (accessed February 23, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, heart, Smart Define, viewed 23 February, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/heart/definitions/1204772>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "heart" 23 October 2010. Web. 23 February 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/heart/definitions/1204772>|