- (n.) The center of a target; the bull's-eye.
- (n.) A small loop to receive a hook; as hooks and eyes on a dress.
- (n.) Tinge; shade of color.
- (v.t.) To fix the eye on; to look on; to view; to observe; particularly, to observe or watch narrowly or with fixed attention; to hold in view.
- (n.) That which resembles the organ of sight, in form, position or appearance.
- (n.) A loop forming part of anything or a hole through anything, to receive a rope, hook, pin, shaft, etc.; as an eye at the end of a tie bar in a bridge truss; as an eye through a crank; an eye at the end of rope.
- (n.) The hole through the upper millstone.
- (v.i.) To appear; to look.
- (n.) A brood; as, an eye of pheasants.
- (n.) The faculty of seeing; power or range of vision; hence, judgment or taste in the use of the eye, and in judging of objects; as, to have the eye of sailor; an eye for the beautiful or picturesque.
- (n.) That which resembles the eye in relative importance or beauty.
- (n.) The scar to which the adductor muscle is attached in oysters and other bivalve shells; also, the adductor muscle itself, especially when used as food, as in the scallop.
- (n.) The spots on a feather, as of peacock.
- (n.) The organ of sight or vision. In man, and the vertebrates generally, it is properly the movable ball or globe in the orbit, but the term often includes the adjacent parts. In most invertebrates the years are immovable ocelli or compound eyes made up of numerous ocelli. See Ocellus.
- (n.) The hole through the head of a needle.
- (n.) Observation; oversight; watch; inspection; notice; attention; regard.
- (n.) The bud or sprout of a plant or tuber; as the eye of a potato.
- (n.) The space commanded by the organ of sight; scope of vision; hence, face; front; the presence of an object which is directly opposed or confronted; immediate presence.
- (n.) The action of the organ of sight; sight, look; view; ocular knowledge; judgment; opinion.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
|APA||Webster's. (2011). eye. Retrieved April 20, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/eye/definitions/2006564|
|Chicago||Webster's. 2011. "eye" http://smartdefine.org/eye/definitions/2006564 (accessed April 20, 2019).|
|Harvard||Webster's 2011, eye, Smart Define, viewed 20 April, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/eye/definitions/2006564>.|
|MLA||Webster's. "eye" 27 May 2011. Web. 20 April 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/eye/definitions/2006564>|