- (n.) The act of moving one of the pieces, from one position to another, in the progress of the game.
- (v.i.) To act; to take action; to stir; to begin to act; as, to move in a matter.
- (v.i.) To change the place of a piece in accordance with the rules of the game.
- (v.t.) To arouse the feelings or passions of; especially, to excite to tenderness or compassion; to touch pathetically; to excite, as an emotion.
- (v.t.) To propose; to recommend; specifically, to propose formally for consideration and determination, in a deliberative assembly; to submit, as a resolution to be adopted; as, to move to adjourn.
- (v.t.) To transfer (a piece or man) from one space or position to another, according to the rules of the game; as, to move a king.
- (v.i.) To change residence; to remove, as from one house, town or state, to another.
- (n.) An act for the attainment of an object; a step in the execution of a plan or purpose.
- (v.t.) To apply to, as for aid.
- (v.t.) To excite to action by the presentation of motives; to rouse by representation, persuasion or appeal; to influence.
- (v.i.) To change place or posture; to stir; to go, in any manner, from one place or position to another; as, a ship moves rapidly.
- (v.t.) To cause to change place or posture in any manner; to set in motion; to carry, convey, draw or push from one place to another; to impel; to stir; as, the wind moves a vessel; the horse moves a carriage.
- (n.) The act of moving; a movement.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
|APA||Webster's. (2011). move. Retrieved February 23, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/move/definitions/2034861|
|Chicago||Webster's. 2011. "move" http://smartdefine.org/move/definitions/2034861 (accessed February 23, 2019).|
|Harvard||Webster's 2011, move, Smart Define, viewed 23 February, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/move/definitions/2034861>.|
|MLA||Webster's. "move" 27 May 2011. Web. 23 February 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/move/definitions/2034861>|